A disobedient take on Graphic Design

You are what you believe in.
We feel the best suited activity to compliment the Disobedient objects exhibition would emphasize the importance of our beliefs no matter where we come from or what role we play in society. Our beliefs bring us together.

“Hi, I believe…” simply replaces the iconic, “Hi, my name is..” sticker with the titular phrase, creating a clear conversation topic, creating opportunities for change to be made through the gathering of like-minded individuals, in the activity space and online.

This is quite possibly the most amazing opportunity I have had in my life thus far. A chance to work with the V&A and have my work displayed in an event was like a dream come true. I remember when I received the news, I ran around my flat jumping and yelling, and banged on the doors of all my flatmates! I literally could not contain my excitement, and thus started my journey into graphic design.

I started with the idea of a series of mini picket signs which the visitors to the V&A could pick up, write something in and then bring around with them through the rest of the event. I wanted to create a scenario where everyone was protesting about different things and create a situation where the like-minded could come together and converse. This was soon scrapped due to concerns of littering and the idea of having to hold up a sign for however long you were there was quite unappealing.

Thus, I asked Celine Loh(amazing person, amazing ideas) a fellow student to work with me on the project. We explored ideas of creating a pick and drop with generic thoughts so users could have a fun photo moment with it, then leave it in the space after, but the possibility of theft made it not too economical. We then moved on to the idea of introduction stickers, where instead of writing your name, you write your beliefs, and thus, the project commenced.

Throughout the project, we experimented with different typefaces and kerning to create different visual effects. We also experimented with colours and legibility, sizing as well as layout. At the end of the day, we created 19 prototypes and finally chose the one displayed above. So to avoid a boring wall of text, attached below are the different incarnations of our sticker, and the driving ideas behind them and why they weren’t chosen in the end.

Sticker Final 1

V1: Not selected because of the text being not legible enough.

Sticker Final 2

V2: Tried to go for a playful “Hello”. Not chosen because there were better ones.

Sticker Final 3

V3: Adjusted the spacing between words. Not chosen because there were better ones.

Sticker Final 4

V4: unified text styles. Not chosen because it’s atrocious.

Sticker Final 5

V5: Changed fonts. Not chosen because too thin.

Sticker Final 6

V6: Updated font thickness. Not chosen because hello still thin.

Sticker Final 7

V7: Updated with a thicker “Hello”. Looked… “off”.

Sticker Final 8

V8: Adjusted font spacing. The “Hello” might be the problem.

3-1

V9: Went with a simple font. Hello looked too blocky.

3-2

V10: Spaced out the “Hello” once again. Looks quite odd.

3-3

V11: Aligned the bottom sentence. Looks much better.

3-4

V12: Used a new font for the bottom. Bottom font too illegible.

3-5

V13: Went back to tight fonts. Looked too spacious.

3-6

V14: Spaced out the “Hello” once again. Was not satisfied..

3-7

V15: Aligned the bottom text. Bottom text looks too thin.

3-8

V16: Thickened the bottom text. Looks much better, but lacking impact.

3-9

V17: Further thickened the bottom text. Looks too fat.

3-10

V18: Gave the bottom text capitals. Something was off, but uncanny.