Of disobedience and labour

SONY DSC

Posters put up

So, after the stickers were designed and sent for print, I started to think about the presentation of our work within the space we was given. We decided on posters and flyers, civil revolution style, and we ended up with an infographic poster and matching flyers. The posters were mechanically printed and were well finished. The flyers, however, were screen printed on newsprint to recreate a  “Secret Rebellion” effect. Additionally, I rushed the print and cut, not using laystops to arrange the print nor measurments to cut so as to further reinforce it’s effect.  

SONY DSC

Display of stickers and flyers

It was a experience of constant change as I modified the space throughout the day in accordance to how users responded to the display, and the following points are my observation;

-Users do not interact with a space if it seems too neat.

-Users in groups are more likely to interact with artworks

-After prompting by me, users felt obliged to interact with the work

– When told about how the flyers were screen printed and therefore unique, the users desired them even more.

-Crowds draw crowds.

SONY DSC

Added on the second day.

The users were quite hesitant at first, just looking at the work and picking up the flyers, but putting them back after. Thus, I added the note on the left, and noticed that more users kept the flyers and stickers that they made.

I had initally placed the flyers, stickers and pens in neat partitions, and noticed that users thought they weren’t supposed to touch it, as if it was intentionally placed in that untouchable state. responding to that, I messed up the table, placed the flyers, stickers and pens all over the table, and people started to touch, move and interact more.

Through this, I learnt about the subtleties of lines and formality, mess and friendliness.

We intended to have the stickers manipulate the space, turning it from a simple gallery to a place of discussion, but in hindsight, perhaps that was too lofty a goal in the context of this country. I personally had many deep and insightful discussions with the people who interacted with my work, but I did not see any other strangers interact with one another. Perhaps the stickers, when used within a situation of forced interaction, could net a better effect.

At the end of the day, I was quite satisfied with the outcome of my work, both in execution and the responses users gave to my work. The next post will show the users interacting with the work and some really unexpected beliefs!